With years of experience installing winches, we are always faced with the same question- How do I get power to the winch that is mounted on the trailer or trailer hitch mount?
Unfortunately, the power supplied by the vehicles 7 or 5 pin trailer plug harness is not nearly enough amperage, so you must run new 2+ gauge wire (positive & negative), or install a separate battery to power the winch. Solve your problem in 1 shot and use a Tuff Stuff® Winch wiring kit.
The Tuff Stuff® Winch Wiring Kit provides enough cable/quick disconnectors to power to the front & rear of the vehicle.
Tuff Stuff® includes 22' of positive/negative cable with a quick disconnect plug + a 3' positive/negative for the front + a 3' positive/negative to re-wire the winch making it 100% portable and usable at both ends of the vehicle, if mounted to a hitch, mounted winch mount.
Made from heavy-duty copper 2 gauge (SWG) wire & heavy-duty insulation, our permanent wiring kit is made to transfer up to 500 amps safely and effectively to any winch (Some quick connectors are not compatible with Tuff Stuff® connectors please call for details)
Wiring Quick Dis-Connect Kit Includes:
- 3' OF 2 GAUGE POSITIVE/NEGATIVE WIRES WITH QUICK CONNECT & RING TERMINALS (PERMANENTLY WIRED TO WINCH)
- 22' OF 2 GAUGE POSITIVE/NEGATIVE WIRES WITH QUICK CONNECT & RING TERMINALS (POWER FROM BATTERY TO REAR)
- 3' OR 2 GAUGE POSITIVE/NEGATIVE WIRES WITH QUICK CONNECT & RING TERMINALS (POWER TO FRONT)
1. Remove the existing positive and negative wires from your winch and replace with the 3' positive/negative wires provided with the quick connector.
2. Install 3' long positive and negative wires to your battery.
3. Install 22' long positive and negative wires to your battery and secure to your frame rail. Mount quick connector securely to the rear bumper so you have access to it.
4. Connect the red quick connect ends together at either the front or back to provide power to your winch.
5. Install winch & receiver hitch mount into your hitch, install pin, use winch.
Q & A
Does this work with my brand winch?
Yes, our wiring kit will work with any winch, because you will remove the positive/negative wires and install a new power connector.
Will this provide enough power for a 17,500lb winch?
Yes, this can provide up to 500 amps of 12V power.
Can I power my winch on my trailer with this wiring kit?
Yes, as long as the distance is sufficient. In the event that this is too short, we also offer extension kits as well